These are the stories we’ve been reading this weekend.
– From the Daily Press, the unintended consequences–black market goodies–of public schools’ crackdown on high calorie snacks. Libertarians & econ enthusiasts like us will love this one. (hat tip: Matt Lybbert)
– The Guardian reports on an female Iraqi sprinter who will compete in the Olympics this summer. Our feel-good story of the week, this definitely wouldn’t have happened when Saddam was chairman of the Iraqi Olympic Committee.
– Before the Supreme Court is a very interesting case regarding the criminal trials in Iraq of men holding dual citizenship (US/Iraqi & US/Jordanian). Spiker, what say you?
– Writing in the LA Times, former Ambassador to the UN, and a man for whom we hold a great deal of respect, John Bolton, addresses Taiwan’s complicated position. We know very little about this area of the world–what we learned in our Chinese history course at BYU and what we’ve read since then. Hopefully resident China/Taiwan expert, Dallas Stahle, will weigh in.
– Last, but never least, the only columnist we read every week no matter what (okay, we pretty much always read Daniel Henninger, too)–Mark Steyn. This guy is great. Smart, clever, and insightful. We’re sure our liberal friends wish they had someone like him.
This week Steyn analyzes the state of Hillary’s campaign. Writes Steyn,
The other day I gave a talk and a Democrat in the audience demanded that I disassociate myself from the sleazy attacks of some Republicans whoâ€™ve been referring to â€œBarack Hussein Obama.â€ I said Iâ€™d be happy to disassociate myself from (Clinton supporter) Bob Kerrey whoâ€™s been floating the whole nudge-nudge-Hussein-the-secret-Muslim thing, and to disassociate myself from (Clinton supporter) Bill Shaheen whoâ€™s been pushing the Obama-spent-most-of-the-Seventies-selling-cocaine rumors, and to disassociate myself from (Clinton supporter) Andrew Young whoâ€™s boasted that Bill Clinton has slept with more black women than Obama. And golly, after Iâ€™d got through disassociating myself from all the Democrat sleaze about Obama, I had no time to peddle any sleaze of my own.
Pretty much sums up how we feel.
*UPDATE 31 March 2008 4:38pm MST: Check out Ryan Decker’s review of WFB and one of his recent books.
If you have tips, questions, comments, suggestions, or requests for subscription only articles, email us at email@example.com.